We all want to eat from the best brands of raisins. And I am sure you know that we’re a nation of raisin lovers.
We use them in our yogurt, our granola, and even sprinkle them on top of salads. But have you ever wondered which brand is the best?
In the grocery store, there are countless brands of raisins- from Sun-Maid to Trader Joe’s.
How do you know which one to pick? Well, we’ve done the research for you and come up with a list of the top 10 best brands of raisins. Read on for more!
After over 20 hours of research and testing the different types of raisins, we put together a list of the 5 best brands of raisins. You can find these below.
What are raisins?
A raisin is a seedless grape that has been produced commercially since the 19th century.
This fruit is currently mostly cultivated in California (in the USA), and Chile. Nowadays, raisins are eaten by people of all ages because of their sweet taste.
They can be used in various dishes including pies, cookies, cakes, bread, breakfast cereals, and salads. Raisins are not only healthy but also delicious! Anyone who tries them will love the sweetness they add to any dish.
Why do you want to eat raisins?
You want to eat these for two main reasons:
- They are just great snacks that you can eat towards 4 pm on a daily basis. They bring me that little extra boost when you get tired and your sugar levels are getting low.
- Raisins are in general healthy. But what you want to know is that these have a number of key VITAL health benefits (see below for more on the benefits). In fact, they may be just tiny in size, but they contain a very high level of fructose, which is a natural healthy addition to your diet. The fructose you find in raisins can only be found in very few numbers of dried fruits. By the way, you can also find such fructose levels in dates too.
Raisins are sometimes called “natural candy”. So, If you have a little bit of a sweet tooth like me, then you should be tried these.
I would say that they are my top choice as an energy booster.
What are the benefits of eating raisins?
There is an endless number of properties attached to raisins, you would not believe it. Here are a few:
- Prevent anemia. Just this fact should be enough to convince you to eat raisins.
- Relieve constipation.
- Help to continuously re-build and maintain strong bone structure.
- Protect your teeth from decaying.
- Reduce the risk of cancer.
- Reduce the risk of heart disease.
Raisins contain a very good amount of fiber. So, if you eat them, they should relieve you from constipation.
They also contain proteins and carbohydrates which help fight anemia and maintain strong bone structure. So, if you are a person of a certain age, and do not have a diabetes type condition, you may want to start eating raisins.
Raisins have a lot of vitamins and minerals. What I like about them is that they are fat-free and cholesterol-free.
Because they are high in antioxidants, they can reduce your risk of cancer.
Reading through research about raisins, I found out that it is the tartaric acid that has the best effect on your body. This protein is just, for me, a super-protein, as it has anti-inflammatory properties (against cancer).
It also improves intestinal function (better digestion, no constipation, etc.). You’ll find that it works entirely to regulate the balance of bacteria in your gut, hence enhancing your immune system.
Why many dried brands of raisins?
Raisins can come from different countries, so they’ll have different properties. Some are from hotter places and some others are from cooler places.
You’ll have red-ish type raisins, yellowish, blackish, purple-ish, and many other wonderful colors.
Also, there are different varieties of raisins, differing in size, and the way they’re dried differs from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Now, my advice would be to buy preservative-free with no added sugar raisins. Yes, you read right, some raisins companies add sugar to raisins and this is really unhealthy. Below, I picked up five main brands that you can purchase and enjoy as a snack.
#1. SunMaid Organic Dried Raisins
When it comes to the best of the best in raisin products, we think SunMaid does the best job in offering the best complete package.
We consider these the best value for your money.
These are California organic raisins and USDA certified. We also like the fact that these are 100% fruit with no added sugar or artificial ingredients.
Also, the quality and freshness are pretty sky high with very little clumping in each batch. The taste is very nice and definitely doesn’t taste like anything artificial is added in.
Overall, these raisins are fairly large compared to others and very juicy and plump.
Click here for more information
What’s the best brand of raisins?
- #1. SunMaid Organic Dried Raisins
- #2. Dole California Golden Raisins
- #3. Gerbs Seedless Raisins
- #4. Newman’s Own Organics Organic Raisins
- #5. We Got Nuts Dark California Raisins
#1. SunMaid Organic Dried Raisins
The SunMaid Organic Dried Raisins are the best raisins for those who want a great tasting USDA certified organic California raisin.
They are juicy, natural, and of great value for your dollar.
As I said, these are Naturally Grown In California. Because they are grown in California, you can rest assure that they Taste Pure Sunshine.
What I like about these is that they are Organic Raisins. And they are exclusively grown by certified organic growers, so you are going for the top of the top and the best brand of raisins.
Another good point to raise here is that they come with a Kosher Certification. So if you are of Jewish Dietary background, then these raisins are for you.
They are from a non-GMO project certified & Usda Organic Certified. You are guaranteed the best raisin brand.
Remember I told you about sugar (see above), well SUN-MAID comes with whole fruit with 0 Gr added sugar. They are simply 100% dried fruit.
You’ll find that these raisins are of the Highest Quality, Perfectly Dried, Very Sweet Dried Fruit as a snack or added to your favorite baking recipes.
- Comes in a single easily Resealable Bag of 32 oz (2 lbs).
- 0G Added sugar – Just the right match for baking, cooking (sweet and sour dishes), or the perfect addition to a variety of your snacks and salads.
- They are Non-GMO Project Verified & USDA ORGANIC CERTIFIED.
- Kosher Certified – We follow and comply with Jewish dietary laws.
Click here for more information
#2. Dole California Golden Raisins
If you like raisins and want a little changeup from the traditional black dried raisins, the Dole California Golden Raisins are a great option.
These are the best raisins if you prefer seedless golden raisins.
It is also nice to know that they also have no preservatives and are naturally fat, cholesterol, and sodium-free.
We think these taste pretty good stand-alone as a snack, but you can also use them as condiments in salads, baking, and mixes.
Finally, just know that these are Dole brand raisins, so the quality of each batch will be good without many defective raisins.
Click here for more information
#3. Gerbs Seedless Raisins
If you want the freshest quality raisins without any marketing BS or pretty packing, the Gerbs Seedless Raisins are the way to go.
Gerbs has been around in the business for a long time and know what they are doing.
The standout feature of these raisins is they everything is 100% natural and packaged with allergen-free ingredients. It is non-GMO, has no preservatives, no added sugars.
Additionally, these raisins are kosher and vegan-friendly. Basically, they look, feel, and taste like they were freshly dried grapes from your backyard.
Overall, the quality is very good and tastes a bit on the sour side, only because they are real grapes without anything added.
Here is something you want to know: Gerbs product’s line is certified Gluten, Wheat, Peanut, Tree-Nut, Soy, Egg, Milk/Dairy, Sesame, Mustard, Shellfish & Fish Free.
The Gerbs describe their raisins as high in fiber, antioxidants, full of omega fats, and loaded with protein. And they are low carb’s too with a naturally heart-healthy and cholesterol-free feature.
In summary, the Gerbs All-Natural is a non-GMO brand, No trans-fats, no added chemicals, no added preservatives, basically, nothing artificial added.
- Freshly dried and simply packaged (which does not mean bad taste, but just ensuring all your finance goes towards the fruit and not the packaging).
- Dedicated Allergen Free equipment and supply chain. No Gluten, No Wheat, No Peanut, No Tree-Nut, No Soy, No Egg, No Milk/Dairy, No Sesame, No Mustard, No Shellfish, and No Fish.
- GERBS All-Natural Pledge: dried fruits are Non-GMO, No Trans-fats, no addition of chemicals, no addition of preservatives, and nothing artificial.
- Very High in Fiber with plenty of Antioxidants, contain Omega Fats, and full of natural Proteins.
- Low in Carb’s, meaning no excess weight gain, but weight loss with plenty of energy.
- Naturally Heart Healthy and Cholesterol Free.
- A definite piece to any healthy lifestyle.
Click here for more information
# 4. Newman’s Own Organics Organic Raisins
Newman’s Own Organic Raisins are a great way to eat fresh sun-dried raisins while feeling good about it as well.
A percent of the profits are donated to charitable organizations.
In terms of some stats, these raisins are organic, gluten-free, peanut-free, and tree nut-free. They are also fat and cholesterol-free.
We find these raisins to be pretty fresh and don’t have too much clumping.
They can be eaten straight from the can. Overall, the taste is pretty good and just a notch below SunMaid in terms of juiciness.
Click here for more information
#5. We Got Nuts Dark California Raisins
When it comes to packing in tons of flavor, we really like the We Got Nuts Dark California Raisins. These raisins are gourmet, freshly packed, healthy, and savory.
They have a strong taste and are often sweeter than other raisins we tried.
In terms of freshness, the raisins are all pretty much fresh and plump without any defects.
They are sweet and a bit tangy as well in taste.
Finally, we saw very little clumping in our batch and the resealable packet is always a very nice option to have.
Click here for more information
What are the different types of raisins?
There are many different types of raisins. They all differ in shape, size, flavor, and color.
You can mainly separate these into three main groups:
- Sultana raisins
- Currant raisins
- Golden raisins.
Obviously, there are many other varieties. As we mentioned above, raisins are dried grapes that have been sun-dried or air-dried. Most of the raisins are now air-dried to speed up the process.
Note that raisins are generally seedless and come in multiple colors including black grape raisins, white grape raisins, green grape raisins, purple raisins, yellowish raisins, etc.
Some of these dried fruits have a softer texture and a more natural taste while some others have a crunchier texture. Some raisins have more sugar content than others which gives them their sweet taste.
How to choose and buy perfect raisins?
To buy perfect raisins, the following should be considered:
- Check the color of the raisins. The longer they are kept, the lighter their color gets. This means if they are black raisins, their color will fade away to lighter black.
- The size of the raisins, which should be uniform.
- If you can (if the packaging allows you to do so), try to smell the raisins, which should be slightly sweet.
- You should buy raisins that are plump and moist.
- The smaller the raisin, the more intense their flavor will be.
Which type of raisins is the healthiest?
As people are looking for healthier options, they might be surprised to learn that there are only two types of raisins.
- One type is seedless.
- The other type has seeds.
The seeded raisins are the healthier option because they contain antioxidants, flavonoids, and phenolics. They also have more iron, copper, manganese, potassium zinc, magnesium than their seedless counterpart.
That does not mean that the seedless raisins are bad. They have a little less content than the seed raisins, but then, these are preferred because they do not have seeds. Think of it. Do you really want to eat a raisin with a seed?
By the way, some people find the excuse that because seedless raisins have less content of the above antioxidants and other compounds, then they have to eat more of these.
I think, there’s no need for exaggerating and eating more seedless raisins. The most important point is to eat a little bit of these on a daily basis to give all of the different nutrients your body needs. Not too much, neither too little. About 100 grams per day should be plenty.
By the way, the healthiest varieties of raisins are the ones that are dried in the sun. These contain more nutrients.
How to revive dried-up raisins?
If you have a package of raisins that have been sitting around for a while, you’re probably wondering if there’s a way to revive them. Luckily, there is! And there are many different techniques to do so. Here, we share two techniques.
- Using the microwave (about 5 minutes)
- Using hot water (about 1 hour)
1- Using the microwave
Simply pour raisins and water into a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for two minutes.
2- Using hot water
Place the raisins in a bowl and cover them with boiling hot water. Let them soak for about an hour, then drain off the water. Spread the raisins out on a paper towel to dry. You’re done.
What are organic raisins?
Organic raisins are raisins that are grown without the use of pesticides or herbicides. They are made of grapes that are grown organically, and they are processed with all-natural ingredients.
What benefits are there with buying organic raisins?
There are many different benefits to eating organic raisins. Below are the most important ones. Raisins contain the below natural compounds that we all need to absorb to have a healthy body.
You’ll also find boron compounds in dried raisins. The mineral provides good bone and joint health, but research also shows that it can improve wound healing.
What is of high interest is that this dried fruit can improve cognitive performance too and has some properties that lower the risk of some types of cancer and age-related eye disease.
Organic raisins are very rich in antioxidants, which protect cells from damage caused by free radicals (and free radicals are the number 1 cause of cancer – so eat raisins to protect your cells).
Note that organic raisins contain anthocyanins – again, this is a strong antioxidant. Note that anthocyanins are a type of flavonoid which provide the pigments that give red, purple, and even blue colors to plants.
What are the benefits of black raisins?
Black raisins (which happen to be the most popular variety of dried grapes) offer sugary tastes and juicy flavors that we love.
But the truth is that they come with a number of medicinal properties that can improve our skin and hair in addition to our health.
Below, we’ve divided them into categories:
- Skin benefits.
- Hair benefits
- Health benefits.
If you want to stop the signs of aging even after reaching your late thirties, including black raisins in your diet on a regular basis would be a fantastic choice for you.
1. Benefits of black raisins for your skins
- Clean your blood from impurities: The way raisins do this is through their antioxidants. Basically, they help accelerate the functions of your liver and kidneys. By cleaning your blood, your body is detoxifying, resulting in clean and clearer skin.
- Reduce premature aging: raisins provide you with phytochemicals in addition to antioxidants. Combined together, these combat the effect of the sun on your skin, thereby reducing aging.
2. Black Raisins benefits for hair
- Reduce greying hair effect: The intake of raisins is very beneficial for your hair health. They are a good source of iron and also have a lot of Vitamin C. These two compounds make it easier for your hair to absorb the minerals they need. Note that they not only maintain your hair appearance but also delay the greying.
- Avoid losing your hair: If you are worried about losing your hair, then eat black raisins. Raisins may be a tiny dried fruit, but it is a very powerful fruit. These are full of iron. Iron is an important part of our diet as it helps to maintain our circulatory system healthy. If you have good circulation (blood circulation system), then you’ll end up with good blood circulation throughout your scalp. This will, in turn, help stimulate your hair follicles and therefore preventing hair fall.
3. General health benefits of black raisins
- Black raisins help fighting bad cholesterol: The good news is that black raisins contain no cholesterol, meaning that eating these will reduce the effects that Low-Density Lipoproteins (LDL) have on you. LDL is better known as ‘bad’ cholesterol and it is really bad for your body.
- Ensure that you do not develop anemia: Any person suffering from acute anemia must look into eating black raisins. These small dried fruits contain plenty of iron. So, but introducing daily eating of black raisins, you’ll increase your iron intake, and as such keep anemia at bay.
- Manage your blood pressure: High blood pressure or hypertension is a very dangerous health condition. If you have this, then you better consider starting to eat black raisins on a daily basis. You’ll find that they are full of potassium, which is one of the most effective minerals used to lower the level of sodium in our body. Sodium (also known as “salt”) is, in most of the case, the main element that leads to the increase of our blood pressure. By adding black raisins to your daily diet, you’ll reduce the risks of cardiovascular diseases.
- Help to manage osteoporosis condition: Calcium is a compound found in raisins. Our body needs this compound for healthy bones. Any lack or deficiencies of this mineral will have an adverse effect on your skeleton including osteoporosis. This is where black raisins can help as it will increase the level of calcium in our body. Eating raisins will therefore alleviate the condition and reduce bone pain.
Is sugar added to raisins?
Some raisins may have added sugar. You can easily tell because you will see the word “sugar” written on the packaging of most products.
How to store raisins?
Raisins are one of the healthiest snacks you can buy. They’re high in potassium, low in salt and sugar, and they’re full of fiber. But once you get home with your raisins, where should you put them?
If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to store raisins, you should buy a large mason jar. Place the jar in a cool, dry place in your kitchen. Now simply fill the jar with dry raisins and seal it with a tight lid.
What happens if you eat raisins every day?
Eating raisins every day can be highly beneficial for your health. If you ever eat raisins on a daily basis, you could help your metabolism combat many health problems. The reason is simple. Raisins have a high potassium content.
In fact, these are so rich in potassium that they can help people with increased blood pressure, kidney problems, heart disease, and help avoid stroke.
Obviously, if you have a condition that does not allow you to eat sugar, then you better stay away from raisins as these contain a substantial amount of sugar.
Verdict on the best brands of raisins
Raisins are dried grapes with no sugar added. They are available in many different varieties, including sultana raisins, currant raisins, and golden raisins.
A number of studies have shown that they are good for you, including the fact that they can help reduce cholesterol levels and may also reduce inflammation.
It is a fact that raisins are a great snack for on the go. Whether you’re at the gym, stuck in traffic, or out with friends, you can easily take a handful of raisins.
Not only are they easy to eat on the go, but organic raisins have many health benefits. They’re a great source of antioxidants and fiber. They also contain minerals such as chromium and magnesium which help maintain your metabolic function.
However, not all brands of raisins are created equal. Though all raisins contain the same amount of carbohydrates, some brands have more sugar per package, which can lead to weight gain and increased blood sugar levels.
Because raisins brands have not been created equal, we decided to put the top 5 best raisin brands for you to choose from.
Our conclusion is that the added many benefits of the SunMaid Organic Dried Raisins make them our top pick for munching on and as a snack.
However, you can also count on the other brands we discussed here. These are so nice too, that I cannot help to say this: I usually get two different brands just to vary my snacks.
But I always have the SunMaid and then another brand from the above selection. By the way, I used a lot of the Gerbs Seedless Raisins in my cakes because these are just fabulous.